Sunday, December 13, 2009

10,000 hours

Just finished my 7th pair of Cat Bordhi's Tibetan Socks. I finally found a good combination of needle size and yarn. Crystal Palace's Mini-Mochi, held double, on size 4 needles is perfect for me. They make thick, soft socks that slip comfortably over the heel, yet still fit elsewhere. The more subtle gradations in color are beautiful. As nice as the Tibetan socks are, I'm purposing a couple of skeins of yarn for nice, thick slipper socks to wear around the house.

I've committed to learning to knit Continental style as opposed to English. It's a major re-learn for me as I've knitted English style since I was 8 years old. I think Continental style will be easier on my aging hands and allow me to knit certain patterns faster. It's certainly not faster now, though! I'm early in my 10,000 hours to mastery!

I'm spending far more time spinning - some on the wheels but significantly more on drop spindles than I have in the past. Part of it is the colder, darker time of year that seems made for spinning! I like to imagine my antique wheels whispering to me about cold winter nights in their past, long before I ever sat to spin with them. Part of it is committing to master spinning on a drop spindle after reading Respect the Spindle. I sat in the doc's office, waiting for my Well Woman check yesterday, spinning away on a bottom-whorl Emily spindle. It's funny to see people trying so hard not to stare or talk to me, but curious. I probably should have elicited conversation, but I'm not yet at the point where I can spin with a spindle and chat easily. Also, spinning is a very Zen activity for me and I like being in the moment with it. I'm a little farther along in my 10,000 hours to mastery here.

More later about local eating, slow food, and farmer's markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment