Thursday, April 8, 2010

Too Many Projects!

I should realize by now that I tend to go into some kind of hyper-mode when I finish a major project, such as the Highland Games. I didn't go as much into hyper-mode after the St. Francis In The Wood Renaissance Faire because I knew I had the games to get ready for (not to mention a major systems conversion). However, since the Games, I've been going projecct-crazy.

I think it's because I can't decide what I want to do next. With so many memories from the last event, I churn out tons of new projects, or decide to revive shelved or forgotten projects. The ideas flood for a time, and I start, or work on, lots of projects. Some stay to completion (or live in a basket awaiting completion). Others get unraveled and go back into storage. So from the Games I have the following:

Weaving
The 4-harness loom is finally getting the lace shawl out of Aunt Lydia's Crochet Bamboo. This project is in the December (I think) 2009 edition of Handwoven. With the economy being so bad, they did a section of projects with inexpensive yarn. I would have completely overlooked the Crochet Bamboo, but it is gorgeous! I wove a couple of bookmarks on the rigid heddle loom (double heddles) with it and they turned out quite well. I have high hopes for the shawl.

The 8-harness loom is by-golly going to get the Peacock Shawl, from one of Handwoven's booklets. I have the kit in Bambu 12 and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I haven't started warping it yet as the warping rack is busy with the Crochet Bamboo.

Because warping is such a major deal, I tend to put off weaving projects. That has to change. I love weaving so much, but only remember when I'm actually at the loom. Sooner or later, it will become an obsession and I won't need to remember!

Oh! The 16" rigid heddle has a set of CotLin log cabin dishcloths on it. Since the 16" Harp is destined for the boat, so are the dishcloths. I'm not best pleased with how they're turning out. CotLin may not do well on a rigid heddle with the heddles doubled. I obviously need to work more on it.

Knitting
Oh my gosh!  Let's see... Projects Galore.

I started a set of kilt hose for George using the Knit Picks kit. He likes to wear his UtiliKilt, but it can be a bit cold. I want these socks to be done prior to the Central Texas Renaissance Faire. He probably won't wear his kilt then, but they should go well with his Ren pants. I'd imagine he'll need socks in November!


I also started a set of Philosopher's House socks for him after he almost immediately wore a hole in the sole of the socks I made him during the winter. At least I'm going to get a lesson in darning socks as I try to repair the original pair. They were made of a wool/acrylic blend, which I suspect, along with wearing them outside on rough concrete, may have had something to do with the hole.

Then I started a set of Celtic Braid socks for me. I spin and weave barefoot. This is partly because I want to feel the treadles better and partly because I don't want to grind dirt into the treadles. I have a set of hand-knit ankle socks dedicated to spinning and weaving, but they're a bit too modern for demonstrations. These socks aren't kilt hose, but they are very Celtic inspired. Right now, they're just at the toe expansion, so there aren't any photos. I'll add some later.


And while visiting my fave LYS, I saw some unspun Icelandic roving. Woot! I've been looking for it for years! I started Cheryl Oberle's Feather and Fan shawl, but casting on almost 400 stitches with unspun roving is a chore. I assume I'll be able to do it some time, but I switched to the Feather and Fan triangle shawl. I tried knitting double-stranded, but I think it looks better in single-strand. I do think casting on double stranded helps a bit. We'll see how this one goes. I love the Evilla PreYarn. It has all the lanolin left in the roving, so it has that wonderful lanolin smell. I know some people hate it, and some people are allergic to it. Thank Heaven I'm not allergic to it, because I love it!


And if that weren't enough (and it probably isn't everything), I started a Alberta Faroese shawl from Myrna Stahman's book. I've wanted one forever and decide to use a handspun single yarn I bought ages ago. I had started another shawl on our summer trip two or three years ago.  It because an abandoned project for some reason. Although I love Old Shale lace, this shawl pattern didn't do much for me. So I frogged it a few days ago and am now plunging into the mysteries of Faroese shaping. The Alberta shawl uses fir cone lace, which vies for being my favorite pattern. This yarn also has the lanolin left in. I bury my face in it while I'm knitting to smell that wonderful sheep/lanolin smell.

I think that's all the projects for now.  Okay, it probably isn't.  I haven't even started on the spinning projects! I wonder which ones will see completion and which will get boring and be abandoned. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment