|The Newly Restored Sabina and Me|
|Sabina Loom Before Restoration|
Sabina looms are insteresting. As nearly as we can figure out, the looms were built in a small workshop in Wilmington, Ohio from the 1930's to 1949. They do fold, although not the way modern looms fold. Side beams pivot on the castle. The warp beam, sectional warp beam and back beam are on one side of the side beams and the cloth beam and breast beam are on the other. Diagonal wooden rods brace the side beams in a horizontal position for weaving. The beater assembly and treadle assembly both remove and can be stacked against the castle. Pieces lock in place with screen door hooks.
Sabinas are rising shed looms, but don't use the jack mechanism that most modern rising shed looms use. Instead of the treadle causing a scissor mechanism to raise the harness or harnesses, the Sabinas use a system of pullies and chains to raise the harnesses from above. This causes many people, myself included, to think they're counterbalance or countermarche looms.
An internet search didn't turn up many clues about the Sabina or its provenance. They are around and there are usually a few for sale on eBay or other sales sites at any given time. But trying to find plans, instructions or even contemporary photos of them isn't as easy as one would hope. Eventually, George did track down information about the owners of the company. He even found a Google maps photo of the house and workshop which are apparently still intact. He's gotten in touch with another man who is restoring a Sabina and they've compared notes. He's found very little, though, in the way of documentation. After having restored various antique spinning wheels, he's accustomed to letting the wood talk to him. The Sabina didn't fail.
|Sabina before dismantling|
After a wrestle with our consciences, we chose to use Texsolv loom cord to replace the metal chains used to raise the harnesses. The Texsolv cord is by no means period, but it should be easier on the cherry pulley wheels and should be much lighter and quieter in operation. I've become a fan of using the Texsolv cord for apron cords. They came standard on my Schacht Baby Wolf loom. After rescuing Calliope from almost hanging herself in the tie-up cords on the older Schacht Standard loom, I've decided to replace the old cording there with Texsolv cord as well.
We ordered a new 15-dent reed and 400 new inserted-eye heddles as well as the Texsolv cord from Woolery. I'll probably order at least 400 more heddles and at least one more reed. She can use the Schacht reeds, but they look kind of silly in a beater meant to accomodate a 45" reed.
|Warping the Restored Sabina|
I can hardly wait!