|Homage to Leonardo|
I also tried doing a print transfer to tile. Overall, it works pretty well, with a few surprises. I think I'm just not master of the technique yet. One of the transfers is of da Vinci's self-portrait. The other is a detail from my favorite of his finished works, The Madonna of the Yarnwinder - or as I disrespectfully term it, the Niddy-Noddy Madonna. I tried transferring both to terra cotta tiles. They both worked fine, but I'm not satisfied with the colors. Next up was transferring to white tiles. Better, and I may use these. But I'm going to try transferring to pearlized tiles. Comparison photos I've seen show this as the best way to do it.
|My First Cane|
The ideas for the tiles haven't come quite so fast on this piece - or rather, I've had setbacks on this one that have slowed me down. The large frame that goes around the recessed image was done in blue clay with the inner part highlighted in silver and the outside highlighted in gold. I made a first version along with two random tiles and baked them as I always have. They came out black. The only thing I can think of is that I burned the clay. I was so disappointed I almost quit. But I tried a second time and it came out right, which reinforces my belief that I overcooked the original set. Thus far, my favorite bit was using a small face mold I have to make a full moon from pearl clay. I highlighted the eyes and lips with interference gold, which came out better than I dared hope. I'll get back to this one soon.