Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mosaics and Icons - Always and Forever

Always and Forever

Yesterday I finished my first mosaic icon - or "mosaicon," as Laurie Mika terms it in her book. I set out to make the icon as an anniversary present for a friend and her husband. They had only been married a short time when he was diagnosed with advanced cancer. I started on the icon knowing he was dying, but hoping I could finish it in time for him to see it.  I didn't make it, as he died last week.  It should get there in time for his memorial service.

A little over half the tiles in the piece were hand made in polymer clay.  The milagros in the tiles were purchased at our local market as was the Sacred Heart piece at the top and the large painted tile at the bottom. Many of the tiles are representational.  One was made after being told a story about his last days.

The rose pictured in the center of the piece is a Photoshop Wonder. I didn't want the photo around which the piece is built to be seen publically.

As difficult as this piece was to make, and it was, I adore this art form. I was crazy for making my first piece in an unknown medium as a gift for someone in a difficult time.  It kind of ups the ante, as it were. But difficult as it was, if it gives any sort of meaning or peace, then I've accomplished what I set out to do.

Now the this piece is finished I'm looking forward to the next one. In the next month or so, I need to do a piece for Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).  Our store here will display the pieces and I'd like to participate. Before then, I'm up between a piece honoring Artemis and one centered around Leonardo da Vinci's Study for Leda and the Swan.  I'm further down the road on the da Vinci piece as I have some terra cotta and gold tiles finished. We'll just have to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment