When the kittens came to live with us, they quickly found the unprotected warp. One morning I woke to find all of it on the floor below the loom. Bad kitties! I thought about trashing the warp, but decided to carefully stabilize it and put it aside. I brought it out again to warp onto the Sabina. It took a little combing and straightening to get the tangles out, but I got it successfully warped onto the Sabina along with the rest of the threads.
|Lace Shawl warped onto the Sabina|
I have to admit, I was tentative throwing the first shots to spread the warp. I guess I was afraid the old loom would shatter into pieces or something. The fishing swivels we used for connecting the tie-up cords to the harness cords did have some problems. The one controlling the first harness - the one with half of the warp threads, did break. I don't know if it was under too much pressure or if it was weak, but break it did. It's rather dramatic when you have a harness raised and you hear a POP and it suddenly drops. But we replaced the swivel and, thus far, the new one seems to be working okay.
|Starting the Shawl|
There are a few things I've noticed with the Sabina. The weaving area between the beater and the breast beam is much larger than I'm accustomed to, so I have to reach further to throw the shuttle. Interesting! However, I don't have to wind the cloth off quite as often. The beater can accomodate a 45" reed, so it's much larger and being made of cherry, much heavier than I'm accustomed to. I have to be careful not to pack the weft down too hard.
But it is wonderful to see the old girl weaving again. I wonder what she thinks, back to doing what she was meant to do.