Sunday, October 31, 2010

New Kitties!

Calliope and Myst

Myst Gives Calliope a Wash
We've been adopted!  Last week I saw three kittens on the deck.  Two were calicos and one was grey and white.  When I went out to investigate further, I saw a large calico cat run off the deck.  The darker calico tried to follow, but the mama (so I assume) swatted her away. One calico was darker, one was mixed with white like the mama and I couldn't determine whether the grey and white cat was male or female  He/she was the shyest of the three. 

Against my better judgement, I brought the kittens some dry food.  They ate it down like they were starving.  After their meal, they scampered off the deck and disappeared.  I assumed they were littermates and the large calico was their mother.  I'd never seen the mama or babies before, which means absolutely nothing.  There is another neighborhood bordering ours and a certain amount of undeveloped area, so animals come and go.  I was concerned for the kitties, though.  There is a busy street bordering our neighborhood and quite a variety of predators around, including red-tail hawks. Although our neighborhood is quiet, the area isn't all that safe for young animals.

That night, I peeked out on the deck and there were the kittens, curled up in an empty plant pot on the deck table.  I left them to sleep.  The next morning I looked out and they had already gone.  But that night they were back again.  Or so I thought.  I took them more food and discovered that only the darker calico and the grey and white were in the bowl.  I haven't seen the lighter calico since the first day nor have I seen the mama cat.  We decided to take the two kittens in, but keep them in solitary confinement until we knew more about them.  We discussed taking them to SCAT - the local cat rescue association, but I just couldn't do it.

We took them to the vet Friday morning and had them checked over.  They each received a clean bill of health and got their first round of vaccinations.  We brought them home and introduced them to Ming.  He's not all that pleased, but there's been a remarkable absence of hissing and spitting.

After a family discussion - that being two hours on the phone with my daughter at college - we named the calico Calliope and the grey and white kitty Myst.  Calliope is Greek for "beautiful voice" and it fits her. She talks more and louder than our resident Siamese!  Calliope was also Homer's muse for the Odyssey.  Myst fits the grey and white kitty as she's a little more retiring and slips in and out like a mist.

So Myst and Calliope have joined Ming Miao as the resident rulers of the household.  For the most part, they're getting along.  Ming is just beginning to think about playing with the interlopers.  At least he hasn't attacked them!
And I did manage to get two Cat Nap Mats crocheted for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment